Yayan Kopernik Job Vacancy: WASH Specialist – Palu, Central Sulawesi
The WASH (Water, Sanitation and Hygiene) Specialist will design, develop and manage all WASH Promotion activities in Kopernik’s emergency response. The primary focus of any WASH Promotion activities should be on IDPs or those in most need, with some shift in focus to resident populations as required.
She/he will represent Kopernik at the sector level to ensure that assistance is effectively reaching the target population and work closely with communities for the establishment of WASH facilities in the operation areas, to reduce the risk of water and sanitation related communicable diseases by promoting good hygiene practice in communities.
WASH Promotion Specialist
- Conduct WASH assessments in targeted areas.
- Design WASH promotion practice to implement in targeted areas.
- Develop tools, establish M&E evaluation system and accountability of WASH in emergency response
- Ensure integration of Sphere guidelines and key indicators into distribution programming.
- Other duties as assigned by the Emergency Response Manager
- Coordinate with all relevant agencies, donors and government bodies to carry out detailed needs assessments and design and implement specific targeted interventions.
Skills and behaviors:
- Rapidly develop a strong understanding of the cultural, political and religious environment in the region and the ability to live and work successfully in those environments are essential.
- Ability to work simultaneously individually and as part of a team on multiple tasks and meet deadlines in an insecure, stressful environment.
- Commitment to local capacity building and the ability to engage local stakeholders in project design and implementation.
- Experience working with displaced populations.
- BA/S or equivalent in Administration, International Development, or a relevant discipline required.
- At least two years international experience working in logistics and/or administration.
- Experience working with an NGO in administering relief programs and ensuring compliance with major donors (USAID/OFDA/PRM/ECHO) rules and regulations.
- Knowledge of safety and security standards, equipment, precautionary measures, and communication protocols in unstable situations.
- Knowledge of humanitarian standards and codes, including Sphere.
- Potentially harsh environment with high insecurity
- Housing will also vary depending on the situation, but expect basic, communal accommodations