USAID IUWASH PLUS Job Vacancy: Market or Business Development Specialist, Jakarta
Scope of Work
Market or Business Development Specialist for Midterm Evaluation of USAID/Indonesia’s IUWASH Plus Program
MSI, a Tetra Tech Company, is a Washington, DC metro area international development firm with a 35-year history of delivering development results across the world. Our core expertise is in the fields of monitoring and evaluation (M&E), institutional development, public sector management, governance and anti-corruption. MSI implements nearly 100 projects in 90 countries around the world such as Jordan, Morocco, Lebanon, Syria, Pakistan, Afghanistan, Colombia, and Mexico. As one of the leading companies in our field, MSI has partnered with more than 80 organizations across all sectors of international development with clients ranging from large bilateral and multilateral donors such as USAID, the World Bank and the UNDP to national and local governments, NGOs, think tanks, foundations and universities.
The USAID/Indonesia Monitoring and Evaluation Support Project (MESP) is designed to improve the functioning and utility of USAID Mission Performance Monitoring, Evaluation and Project Planning and Design systems through a combination of targeted direct M&E implementation, expert technical assistance, formal training, and knowledge sharing and M&E collaboration support. Under MESP, MSI has been asked to conduct USAID Indonesia Urban Water, Sanitation and Hygiene Penyehatan Lingkungan untuk Semua (IUWASH PLUS) Midterm Performance Evaluation. For USAID, this activity is a leader in the design and implementation of innovative urban WASH approaches. As such, this evaluation is also intended to inform USAID’s global learning agenda on urban Water, Sanitation and Hygiene.
USAID IUWASH PLUS is a five-year, $39.6 million initiative designed to assist the government of Indonesia in increasing access to drinking water supply and safely managed sanitation services as well as improving key hygiene behaviors among urban poor and vulnerable populations. Implemented by DAI Global LLC (under USAID contract AID-497-TO-16-0003), IUWASH PLUS works with governmental and donor agencies, the private sector, NGOs, communities and others to achieve the following “high-level” results:
- Increased access to improved water service quality to at least one million urban residents, of which 500,000 are from the poorest 40% of the population; and
- Increased access to safely managed sanitation services for at least 500,000 urban residents.
USAID IUWASH PLUS will work with 32 Local Governments across Indonesia located in 8 provinces that includes North Sumatra, West Java, Central Java, East Java, South Sulawesi, Maluku, North Maluku and Papua, and 2 special areas in DKI Jakarta and Tangerang District.
USAID IUWASH PLUS focuses on strengthening the overall urban WASH Ecosystem. The concept of a WASH Ecosystem recognizes that all sector actors— from Mayors to utilities to health center staff to private sector septage haulers— have an important role to play and that the linkages between them must be supported and reinforced. This concept stands in contrast to most traditional approaches to sector development that prioritize the construction of new facilities while ignoring the systemic weaknesses that undermine sustainability.
To ensure that improvements in access to WASH services are sustained, USAID IUWASH PLUS focuses on strengthening service delivery systems so they can more effectively reach the poorest and most vulnerable segments of the population. In order to achieve this at scale, USAID IUWASH PLUS undertakes activities through four interrelated components, including:
- Improving household WASH services;
- Strengthening city WASH institutional performance;
- Strengthening the WASH financing environment; and
- Advancing national WASH advocacy, coordination and communication.
In support of the above, IUWASH PLUS also manages a Local Sustainability and Innovation activity that provides an opportunity to push the boundaries of WASH programming in Indonesia through the engagement of diverse stakeholders in open innovation approaches that build local capacity.
MSI is seeking a qualified Market or Business Development Specialist for IUWASH PLUS Midterm Evaluation in Indonesia. The purpose of this evaluation are to: (1) validate of existing methods, approaches and monitoring tools utilized over the first phase of the project to determine if they require course correction in the remaining years of the project; (2) assess of IUWASH PLUS’ contribution to achievement of GOI’s target of universal access (100-0-100) by 2019 and Sustainable Development Goal (SDG) 6 — Water and Sanitation for All by 2030; and (3) identify key factors necessary to sustain and scale-up IUWASH PLUS approaches beyond the project period. The Market or Business Development specialist will serve as the Review Team Members and work under the leadership of the Team Leader and MSI for the upcoming IUWASH PLUS Midterm Evaluation. The review will begin on or about March 1, 2019 and finish by the Mid of June 2019. The anticipated level of effort for the expert is 60 days
- Review project background materials
- Participate in the initial Team Planning Meeting in Jakarta.
- Support qualitative data collection, which may include desk review, key informant interviews, or focus group discussions in Jakarta and multiple provinces.
- Provide insight related to market or business development of water and sanitation in Indonesia
- Analyze qualitative data that has been collected.
- Contribute to coordinating Findings/ Conclusions/ Recommendations Workshop in Jakarta as well as a final workshop with USAID and GOI officials.
- Contribute to the development of the review deliverables, including the methodology and workplan, reports (draft and final), and debriefing.
- Other tasks, as assigned by the Team Leader or MSI.
- Master’s degree or higher in relevant field required
- At least 7 years’ of professional experience working on market or business development with experience in Indonesia
- Required strong knowledge on market or business development program with experience in Indonesia, particularly in water and sanitation area
- Experience working on evaluation/review/assessment team under donor-funded projects preferred
- Excellent writing and interpersonal communications skills
- Fluency in English language preferred
Only candidates who have been selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls, please.
MSI is an EEO/AA/ADA Veterans Employer.
To apply: Please send your application to IDNMESPRecruit@msiworldwide.com and indicating ‘IUWASH market development specialist’ as subject of your email no later than January 31, 2019.