UCLG ASPAC Job Vacancy: Head of Bureau – North Kalimantan
TERMS OF REFERENCE
Vacancy No: UCLG ASPAC/005/IX/2018
Post Title: Head of Bureau
Division: Bureau of Secretary General
Duty Station: UCLG ASPAC Secretariat
Duration: One year contract and extendable
Date Posted: Thursday, 4th October 2018
Closing Date: Monday, 15th October 2018 (Jakarta Time: 23:59)
UCLG ASPAC is the largest regional section of United Cities and Local Governments (UCLG), an amalgamation of International Union of Local Authorities (IULA), United Towns Organization (UTO), and World Association of the Major Metropolises (METROPOLIS). UCLG was established on 1 January 2004 and is headquartered in Barcelona, Spain. Following this unification, UCLG ASPAC was established in Taipei on 14 April 2004, as the new entity of IULA ASPAC. UCLG ASPAC’s Secretariat is based in Jakarta, Indonesia.
UCLG is a worldwide association of local governments and the officially recognized voice of local governments by the United Nations. UCLG ASPAC has linkages to more than 7,000 local governments. It represents well over 3.76 billion people – more than half of the world population – and incorporates economically fast developing countries such as China, India, and Indonesia.
UCLG ASPAC is the key knowledge management hub on local government issues in the Asia-Pacific region. It promotes democratic local government, supports cooperation between cities, local governments and their associations, and facilitates programs, network and partnerships to develop the capacity of local governments and the associations. Moreover, UCLG ASPAC represents local governments politically within the international community, and with the United Nations and its agencies. It also promotes inclusive societies which safeguard equality, social and economic justice, and sustainable development. UCLG ASPAC is engaged in all relevant thematic fields for nurturing sustainable development comprising local economic development, climate change, disaster resiliency, culture, strategic planning, decentralization, municipal finance, gender equality, women leadership and empowerment and good governance.
Following the expansion of its Secretariat and to support the increased cooperation of cities and local governments, UCLG ASPAC is inviting professional and dynamic people to fill in the newly opened positions. UCLG ASPAC is recruiting the Head of Bureau of the Secretary General for a one year (1) period with possibility of extension, based on satisfactory performance.. The Post is assigned to lead and guide the Secretariat’s team members and foster collaboration among the divisions to ensure the achievement of vision and mission of UCLG ASPAC.
The post will have overall strategic and decision making responsibility and report directly to the Secretary General.
Objective and Goal:
- To be responsible in developing and implementing the strategic goals of the organization.
- To be responsible for the development of risk management strategies and policies;
- To be responsible for the fully accountable office;
- To be responsible for the administrative and financial aspects of the organization;
- To be responsible for organizational and operational needs;
- To be responsible for the development, monitoring and evaluation, and expansion of capacity of the organization;
- To take part in promoting the organization and enhance knowledge management.
Scope of Work
The Head of Bureau of the Secretary General will be supervised by UCLG ASPAC Secretary General, and will be supported by relevant managers, coordinators and officers. S/he will undertake the following tasks:
- Lead the development of operations strategies and objectives in line with the organizational vision and mission, and to be more acknowledged as the pioneer in advocacy within local governments;
- Lead person for the implementation of the Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) framework for the organization and its projects, and contribute to the design and implementation of related core M&E research and development activities of UCLG ASPAC;
- Person in charge for all data collection, analysis, and learning activities to help ensure accountability and efficiency from start to finish for all programs and projects, both new and established;
- Create division strategic plan and implements its activities which complies with and enhances the organization mission and vision;
- Liaise with other head of division to ensure the operations budgets meet the initial budget approval;
- To present and promote UCLG ASPAC mission and vision, objectives and achieves its external organizations as required;
- Lead the management of information and technology services;
- Manages collaboration arrangements with the host of the Secretariat and strategic partners and/or donor agencies;
- Monitor timely readjustment of the operations, and provides inputs on legal considerations and risk assessment;
- Provide outstanding leadership to team members, including opportunities for coaching and development, to maximize work output and work quality;
- Identify patterns and problem areas, and implement effective solutions to increase efficiency;
- Report regularly to other divisions on finance and administrative works with completed on-budget and on-time projects and outcomes;
- Monitor and evaluate the organization’s progress and achievement;
- Respond to requests for information from members and partners;
- Perform any other duties as required from time-to-time as assigned by the Secretary General.
- Promote a working culture of high performance and continuous improvement that values learning and a commitment to quality;
- Responsible for the management and positive development of a range of strategic and operational relationships external to the organization, working with other agencies at strategic level, in support of mutually beneficial approaches to care;
- Build strategic partnerships by maintaining a network of contacts;
- Establish and nurture positive communication with members and partners. Mentor and develop staff using a supportive and collaborative approach on a consistent basis;
- Generates new ideas and approaches, researches best practices and proposes new, more effective ways of doing things;
- Provide leadership and motivation for the teams.
- Hold a master’s degree in public administration, financial management and/or related fields.
- Has a minimum of fifteen (15) years of professional experience in administrative and institutional capacity development and working in a similar position in a non-profit organization and/or an international organization.
- Has an exceptional leadership and strong organizational and planning skills as well as good office management experience.
- Has a team and result-oriented approach, and possess good decision making, coaching and motivating skills.
- Demonstrate experience working with local governments, multi-donor agencies and/or development partners.
- Has experience in working in an international environment, respecting different cultures and nationalities.
- Excellent communication and writing skills in English; Fluent in Bahasa Indonesia is an asset.
- Advanced computer skills, particularly MS Office.
Others skills and competency:
- Exceptional leadership skills and strong organization and planning skills;
- Knowledge of political and government processes;
- Significant demonstrated knowledge of working in managerial role at an executive level within regulatory environment.
- Has highly developed communication skills, including ability to draft/edit texts and to articulate ideas in clear, concise style to a variety of audiences;
- Has positive attitude, honest, trustworthy and demonstrate sound work ethics;
- Has the ability to quickly establish professional rapport with colleagues and other persons;
- Has the ability to work under pressure and to meet deadlines required;
- Self-motivated with a positive and professional approach to management;
- Be willing to travel when required.
The post will be supervised by the Secretary General and have close coordination with other Head of Divisions, and supported by relevant managers and/or coordinators and officers.
How to apply
Please submit the application letter, state salary expectation and CV to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Only selected candidates will be contacted.