The Nature Conservancy Job Vacancy: GIS Coordinator, Samarinda – East Kalimantan
A LITTLE ABOUT US
Founded in 1951, the Nature Conservancy is a global conservation organization dedicated to conserving the lands and waters on which all life depends. Guided by science, we create innovative, on-the-ground solutions to our world’s toughest challenges so that nature and people can thrive together. We are tackling climate change, conserving lands, waters and oceans at unprecedented scale, providing food and water sustainably and helping make cities more sustainable. One of our core values is our commitment to diversity. Therefore, we strive for a globally diverse and culturally competent workforce. Working in 72 countries, including all 50 United States, we use a collaborative approach that engages local communities, governments, the private sector, and other partners.
The Nature Conservancy offers competitive compensation, 401k or savings-plan matching for eligible employees, excellent benefits, flexible work policies and a collaborative work environment. We also provide professional development opportunities and promote from within. As a result, you will find a culture that supports and inspires conservation achievement and personal development, both within the workplace and beyond.
YOUR POSITION WITH TNC
The GIS Coordinator manages and maintains conservation databases and provides technical support in GIS or other relational database technologies to Conservancy staff.
The GIS Coordinator manages and maintains conservation databases and provides technical support in GIS or other relational database technologies to Conservancy staff. This includes compiling, assembling and maintaining land protection, biodiversity and management information from various sources. This may also include one or more of the following functions:
- Participates in conservation planning at various levels
- Develops methods for mapping and classifying ecosystems and data management; includes developing and maintaining all documentation for data and data management
- Performs data analysis; designs and produces advanced complex queries and professional reports
- Processes spatial and other relational data sets derived from cartographic and tabular source material
- Processes image analysis to create land cover, vegetation and other spatial data from imageries.
- Processes spatial data collection using drone
- Conduct analysis from drone data to spatial data
- Provides hardware and software support
- Develops and delivers training to staff individually and in groups. S/he trains partners from production forest on basic forest planning and RIL and from the community.
- Produces maps and other graphic products and reports
- Develops and maintains GIS library and/or database products library
- Conduct stakeholder engagement among related GIS and spatial planning both from government (Bappeda for OneMap Policy) and private sectors
The GIS Coordinator provides GIS technical support to the following:
- Development by Design Approach in area of land base such as oil palm, timber plantation.
- Spatial Analysis in Ecosystem Service Areas (KEE)
- Production forest/forest inventory/HCVF
- Protection forest/karst
- Community (land-use planning, participatory mapping, forest village)
- Any research which is conducted within the Terrestrial Program
- The GIS Coordinator is based in Samarinda and reports to the NR Planning Manager.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND SCOPE
- Supervises staff and has ability to motivate, lead, set objectives and manage performance, including conflict resolution.
- May help develop and manage work plans and large project budgets.
- May negotiate and contract with vendors.
- Ensures integrity of both data collection and management relating to conservation projects and project statistics.
- Under limited supervision acts independently, resolves complex issues within the program area and may act as a resource to others.
- YKAN may, from time to time, assign the Employee to another location(s) in accordance with the requirements of the Employee’s job description and/or YKAN’s operational needs. The Employee agrees to work in such other work location(s) in Indonesia.
- BS degree and certification in related field and 3 years related experience, or equivalent combination of education and experience in geography, forestry or other related geo-sciences.
- Experience managing, maintaining and populating databases and manual files.
- Experience with interpretation of image analysis, complex spatial analysis, data modeling and landscape scenario analysis.
- Experience managing multiple projects.
- Experience operating GIS software, analyzing data and producing data reports and creating maps.
- Experience operating remote sensing software such as Envi and others.
- Experience supervising staff (if required).
- Experience interpreting results then developing and delivering training (required) to practitioners.
- Experience with Microsoft Word, Excel, Access and Web Browsers.
- 3-5 years related experience or equivalent combination of education and experience in geography, forestry or other related geo-sciences.
- Demonstrated experience in the following areas: interpretation of image analysis, complex spatial analysis, data modeling and landscape scenario analysis
- Knowledge of current trends and practices in relevant discipline(s) and region(s)
- Demonstrated experience interpreting and communicating results to conservation practitioners
- Demonstrated experience collaborating with other parties to obtain different data sources both from government and private sectors.
- Ability to make practical sense out of processed data and apply to real world applications
- Managing time and diverse activities under deadlines while delivering quality results
- Demonstrated experience operating GIS software, managing relational databases and creating maps
- Demonstrated experience using UAV/drone and post analysis drone images into maps.
- Demonstrated database and computer-based management experience including managing, maintaining and populating databases and manual files
- Understanding of using ArcGIS online, Collector, ESRI Survey123 and other web GIS platform will be an advantage.
- Understanding of model builder, script language such as phyton will be an advantage.
- Managing and prioritizing tasks from multiple sources
- Successful experience in developing, directing and managing multiple projects and implementing program goals
- Working knowledge of common software applications (e.g.; Word, Access, Excel, Web browsers)
- Communicating clearly via written, spoken, and graphical means in English
HOW TO APPLY
To apply to position number 47131, submit resume (required) and cover letter separately using the upload buttons. All applications must be submitted in the system prior to 11:59 p.m. Eastern Time on December 20, 2018.
Click “submit” to apply for the position or “save for later” to create a draft application for future submission. Once submitted, applications cannot be revised or edited. Failure to complete required fields may result in your application being disqualified from consideration.
If you experience technical issues, please refer to our applicant user guide or contact email@example.com.
The Nature Conservancy is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Our commitment to diversity includes the recognition that our conservation mission is best advanced by the leadership and contributions of men and women of diverse backgrounds, beliefs and culture. Recruiting and mentoring staff to create an inclusive organization that reflects our global character is a priority and we encourage applicants from all cultures, races, colors, religions, sexes, national or regional origins, ages, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity, military, protected veteran status or other status protected by law.
The successful applicant must meet the requirements of The Nature Conservancy’s background screening process.
APPLY ONLINE CLICK HERE