Solidar Suisse Job Vacancy: Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning Expert, Palu – Central Sulawesi
TERMS OF REFERENCE
Position: Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning (MEAL) Expert (Consultancy, 100%)
Duty station/Country: Palu, Sulawesi
Reporting line: Country Coordinator
The two Swiss NGOs HEKS and Solidar Suisse have formed a consortium and partnered up with the Indonesian Organisation Muhammadiyah Disaster Management Centre (MDMC) to respond to the devastating earthquake and tsunami in Sulawesi, Indonesia.
For the recovery phase, a comprehensive humanitarian project in the sectors livelihoods, shelter and WASH will be implemented to support affected people mainly in rural areas in Central Sulawesi.
To monitor and guide the implementation, a highly qualified team is currently established. For this purpose, we are seeking a motivated, skilled and experienced person for the position of MEAL Expert.
PURPOSE OF POSITION
Under the direct supervision of the Country Coordinator, the MEAL expert is entrusted to set up a MEAL framework and ensure its application in line with the project proposal. He/she introduces MEAL tools to project staff, e.g.. for data collection, accountability, etc. and provides support whenever required. He/she ensures that data are systematically collected, correctly stored, analyzed and used for planning, learning and reporting purposes by guiding the MEAL officer. He/she is in charge of the adherence and application of the Core Humanitarian Standards (CHS) in the project by all staff. He/she will provide guidance and assistance to the project staff and staff of the local partner organization in all MEAL related matters.
As a key member of the team, the MEAL Expert will liaise closely with the consortium’s HQ.
MAIN TASKS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The MEAL expert is entrusted with the following tasks:
- Develop a comprehensive MEAL framework and ensure its proper application in the project
- Design MEAL tools specifically for the project and train project staff on the application of said tools
- Coordinate the MEAL activities (incl. data collection) of the respective field staff to ensure timely and conducive MEAL measures are applied
- Spend time in the field to follow up on project’s activities first hand and extract and discuss lessons learnt with project staff
- Identify success stories and coordinate with Country Coordinator on further action
- Coordinate the timely reporting to HQ according to the donor’s reporting intervals and formats
- Prepare monthly MEAL reports
- Train on and ensure the adherence to the Core Humanitarian Standards (accountability commitments)
- Ensure that accountability standards are institutionalized within the project
- Develop a complaints and response mechanism in a participatory manner
- Organize and facilitate learning sessions and follow up on respective action plans
- Introduce knowledge management tools
- Any other task assigned by the Country Coordinator
Required profile and experience
- Master in social sciences, statistics or related fields
- Proficiency in MS office package and other relevant software for data processing (e.g. SPSS)
- Minimum of 3 years professional experience in MEAL in a leading position including field experience and community work, preferably in an emergency context
- Very good knowledge in English language (written and spoken)
- Good personal organizational skills, including time management and ability to meet deadlines and work under pressure
- Creative and innovative thinking
- Ability to communicate clearly, both verbally and in writing
- Motivated and willing to take the initiative
- Show initiative and actively assume responsibilities, able to plan and organize his/her work independently
Duration and starting date
We look for a candidate who is able to start as soon as possible, with contract duration of 6 months, and the possibility of extension (of another 8 months).
If you are interested in this assignment and meet the requirements, please send your application including detailed CV, and contact details of 3 referees by e-mail with Subject “MEAL Expert” to firstname.lastname@example.org. Due to the urgency, the position will be filled on a rolling basis.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.