Revitalising Informal Settlements and their Environments Job Vacancy: Co – Design Facilitator, Makassar – South Sulawesi
Position Title: Co-Design Facilitator
Program: Revitalising Informal Settlements and their Environments (RISE)
Reporting to: Build Team Lead (Makassar), Objective 1 Community Engagement Lead (Melbourne), Country Coordinator (Makassar)
Duty Station: Makassar, Indonesia
Duration: 6 months, extendable based on performance
Revitalising Informal Settlements and their Environments (RISE) is a design-research program, which aims to demonstrate that a Water Sensitive Cities (WSC) approach to water and sanitation management can improve human and ecological health in informal settlements. The program is operating in 24 informal settlements across Makassar, Indonesia and Suva, Fiji.
The WSC interventions of the RISE project operate on varying scales – household, neighbourhood, and precinct. They include built elements, such as sanitation and drainage improvements, rainwater harvesting facilities and green infrastructure (wetlands). The success of the RISE interventions will be measured by the health and well-being of residents – particularly children under five years of age – and the ecological diversity of the surrounding environment.
The RISE program is currently seeking a Co-Design Facilitator to join our team in Makassar guiding the community engagement and participatory design activities to inform the design of WSC infrastructure in line with the project’s social and environmental safeguards. We are looking for a confident communicator who can guide discussions and negotiations with large community groups particular around land tenure and placement of critical infrastructure and who is familiar with working with Asian Development Bank (ADB) safeguards and processes. The candidate will be working within a diverse team of construction specialists, engineers, architects, researchers and community fieldworkers who are based in both Makassar and Melbourne.
- Plan, manage and execute community engagement and participatory design activities in the field and report back on their success;
- Ensure that community inputs are included in the designs of infrastructure for the RISE sites;
- Manage and drive large community meetings to achieve outputs required to support design decisions;
- Facilitate discussions around land tenure and placement of critical infrastructure items with households and communities in line with ADB safeguards and processes;
- Manage the community and household consent process;
- Raise and promote community awareness and engagement on Integrated Water Management and Water Sensitive Cities concepts;
- Support local staff for the facilitation of community engagement and participatory design activities;
- Support documentation and reporting on project activities and outputs in line with donor and government requirements;
Required Skills and Experience
- At least a Bachelor degree in a built environment discipline (architecture, civil engineering);
- At least ten years of experience with:
- Community-based development and participatory design processes;
- Urban water, sanitation infrastructure design and systems;
- Knowledge of AutoCAD is a plus;
- Knowledge of ADB safeguards and processes;
- Strong public speaking and writing skills;
- Bilingual (Bahasa Indonesia and English);
- Use of word and excel for planning and reporting activities;
How to apply
This is a Makassar based position with remuneration to suit candidate’s experience.
Please send your cover letter and CVs only quoting the job title on the email subject to fitriyanty.RISE@gmail.com by the latest at 27 February 2019