Islamic Relief Job Vacancy: Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability & Learning (MEAL) Coordinator – Jakarta
BASE LOCATION: IRI Jakarta CO
REPORTING TO: IRI Country Director
LINE MANAGEMENT RESPONSIBILITIES: Monitoring Officer
PURPOSE OF DIVISION:
Through capacity building, programme and monitoring, evaluation, accountability and learning, Islamic Relief Indonesia keeps the quality of organisation focus on the socio-economic and humanitarian needs of vulnerable people.
Based on the current 2018-2021 MoU with Indonesia Ministry of Home Affairs, the socio-economic focus are translated into various sectoral programmes: Livelihood, WASH (Water, Sanitation, and Hygiene), Health & Nutrition, Education, DRR/CCA, and Child Welfare and Protection implemented in 3 provinces in Indonesia: Aceh, Banten & West Nusa Tenggara (NTB). IR Indonesia also have an agenda to provide emergency response throughout Indonesia area whenever needed taking into account Indonesia government policy and regulation.
The Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Leaning Division reinforces Islamic Relief Indonesia’s effort to implement structure to enable the targeted people in need and their communities to develop themselves sustainably and thrive from the disaster affecting them.
The division increases the organisation’s ability to tackle poverty and suffering by developing continued learning and improvement for social accountability.
- To contribute towards the delivery of IR Indonesia strategic approach by delivering programme improvement and learning, through the collection and sharing of knowledge and insight, and strengthening the focus on results through identifying and communicating the impact of the organisation’s work. This would involve the postholder leading in the development and use of technology for MEAL activities, including in advising the IR Indonesia CD of developments in this area.
- To co-ordinate the capacity building of MEAL colleagues at country and field office level, ensuring that in coordination with the IRI CD, Program and Project Coordinators, they have the skills necessary to do their jobs. This role would lead on conducting and maintaining a skills audit of MEAL staff throughout IR Indonesia offices and operation area, and also deliver appropriate training and capacity-building, where required.
- To co-ordinate the development and ongoing maintenance of a community of practice for MEAL staff; for the purpose of building and sharing an evidence base of global knowledge, best practice, and lessons learned, including their dissemination across the organisation.
- To support the monitoring & evaluation of our programmes; working closely with the IRI CD, Program & Project Coordinators, project staff, and the business support manager to ensure that programme, regional and departmental evaluations are linked clearly to IR Indonesia strategy.
- The role will lead on the design of monitoring framework, delivery of monitoring, report refinery, facilitation of internal mid review and evaluation to collate internal learning to provide a robust lesson learnt for the future decision making.
- To co-ordinate the delivery of independent evaluation ensuring that all programmatic deliveries are measured based on the DAC-OECD criteria taking into account innovation, replicability, and scale-up.
The role holder will work closely with the following:
- Programmes Department (including Programme Manager, Programme Coordinator, Project Coordinator, Area Coordinator) and Business Support Manager
- Under CD supervision with wider IR family and key stakeholders including: (1) IR Partners, especially their MEAL Focal point, (2) Asia Desk Coordinator, (3) Policy and Quality Control Unit, (4) Audit Division, (5) Global Communications and External Relations, and (6) the key stakeholders (IR partners and institutional donors)
- External networks focusing on MEAL.
SCOPE AND AUTHORITY
Scope of the Role:
Reporting to IRI CD, the MEAL Co-ordinator will play a leading role in the delivery of some objectives, whilst co-ordinating and supporting in the delivery of others. The role will contribute towards delivering on Islamic Relief Indonesia’s strategic approach to programme delivery; including in conducting evaluations, and in ensuring that the capacities of program/ project staff are built to a high standard and maintained. This role will also lead in the development and use of technology within MEAL processes, including in advising the IRI CD about latest developments.
Responsibility for Resources:
The job holder is accountable for fulfilling his or her roles and responsibilities in line with Islamic values and principles of fairness, humanity, honesty, respect and fair treatment of his/her colleagues and staff.
- To support the programme of monitoring and evaluation of IR Indonesia operations, including providing support to Partners and other stakeholders
- Support the development of an effective framework, guidelines, assurance system, and tools in relation to MEAL, and in the development of strategies and mechanisms to integrate MEAL into country office programmes and processes.
- Co-ordinate the development and ongoing maintenance of a library of MEAL tools to support the monitoring and evaluation of humanitarian and development projects and support the process of ensuring that IR Indonesia MEAL tools are in line with IRW Standards and international standards such as the Core Humanitarian Standards, OECD/DAC, Red Cross Code of Conduct, and others.
- Lead in the development and ongoing use of technology to collect baseline, endline, impact, outcome, and output level data from project evaluations.
- Lead the evaluation of selected country Project where requested, to assess progress and impact made by the project, and to write high quality reports to support ongoing and strategic decision making.
- Co-ordinate efforts to ensure that all MEAL activities uphold a commitment to gender equality, Child Protection, and the inclusion of marginalised groups.
- Provide support on strategic and new large organisational grants and bids, taking a leading role where the bids are related to technology.
- Keep up to date with developments in MEAL processes and thinking, especially in relation to the use of technology and for which the post holder should advise the line manager accordingly.
- Collate regular update of progress of the on-going projects provided by programme division through monthly report
- Identify key challenges of the project implementation and provide insight for improvement to programme manager and country director
- Prepare necessary information related to programme quality standard that is regularly updated to the database in the headquarter
- Capacity-building, learning, and innovation
- Support efforts to develop, promote, and maintain a strong culture of learning and innovation amongst all global MEAL colleagues.
- Lead ongoing efforts to identify gaps in knowledge for all global MEAL staff, and support measures to develop their capacity so that they meet the minimum IRW and international standards in relation to MEAL.
- Lead in the development and ongoing maintenance of an internal community of practice in relation to MEAL, including an evidence-base of findings and lessons-learned, so as to develop the knowledge of IRI Program/ Project staff.
- Co-ordinate the follow-up of, and feedback to IRI CD and Program/ Project Coordinator in relation to post-evaluation After Action Plans, ensuring that all actions are satisfactorily met with appropriate evidence provided.
- Support the provision of training to colleagues within Programme Quality and eventually across the organisation; and take a leading role in the provision of training in the use of technological solutions for data collection, monitoring, and evaluation.
- Provide regular training on MEAL to programme staff and MEAL officer
- Design and facilitate mid-term and annual review to collect lesson learnt and recommendation of the existing projects
- Ensure all archiving of programmatic works are documented taking into account the social accountability principles
- External engagement, influence, and partnerships
- Support efforts to profile IRI achievements with current and potential donors. This includes analysis report of IR strength in the programmatic delivery provided in the communication material
- Lead in the writing of articles on MEAL for influential publications, as agreed, including in the use of technology for MEAL.
- Attend and represent IRI at coordination, conferences and seminars event, as directed by the line manager.
- Represent IRI in identified external forums and with governmental donors, e.g. USAID, DFAT, DFID, DEC, CHS Alliance, SPHERE, BOND, etc.
- Deputise for the IRI CD and be a point of contact for internal and external staff for MEAL queries, as requested.
- Invest in self-capacity building and develop higher competencies and skills, with support from the line manager.
- Carry out other duties as may be assigned or required from time to time
It is essential that the post holder shows a good understanding and sympathy with the Islamic values and principles, as well as commitment to Islamic Relief vision and mission.
Knowledge, Skills and Qualifications
- A first, or master’s degree in related subject such as social sciences or international development, or a recognised relevant professional qualification in monitoring & evaluation, or qualified through experience.
- Proven analytical ability, both qualitative and quantitative, including ability to process large amounts of information and to present data in creative and engaging ways.
- Excellent interpersonal skills including the ability to build strong and effective working relationships, and bringing people together to complete tasks in a timely manner.
- Good oral and written presentation skills.
- Working calmly under pressure and meeting strict deadlines.
- An ability to work on own initiative, as part of teams of people of diverse backgrounds, and to have a flexible attitude to work.
- Ability to gather, analyse and evaluate facts and to prepare and present concise both oral and well-written reports.
- Good knowledge of current development and MEAL thinking.
- Excellent communication skills in spoken and written English and Bahasa Indonesia
- Working in international NGO for more than 3 years
- Proven experience in analysing data which enables sound conclusion and recommendations to be drawn.
- An understanding of the use of and gaining insight from data and research, to add value.
- An ability to work with internal and external stakeholders, and influence them towards achieving a goal.
- Experience of research techniques and their application in political, economic, social, and technological contexts.
- Ability to work to tight deadlines with often changing and competing priorities.
- Ability, motivation, and willingness to travel alone across IR Indonesia Project Location and internationally.
- Willingness to take ownership of own development, with the support of the line manager and of Islamic Relief Worldwide and Indonesia as a whole.
- Knowledge and experience of technology, and technological solutions for MEAL.
- Knowledge and experience in relation to the CHS frameworks.
- Some field and programmes experience, especially in the area of M&E.
- An ability to speak another language, especially Arabic.
Strong interest in development work with respect for confidentiality and commitment to Islamic Relief overall aims and objectives, including gender, equality and equal opportunities in all aspects of Islamic Relief’s work.
Islamic Relief is a faith based-non government organization that respects diversity and inclusiveness. Applicants from diverse religions, gender, race, and physical impairment are encouraged to apply.
All Islamic Relief team members are expected to support all efforts towards accountability, specifically to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field project
Please send only your application letter and CV to the email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications submit directly to Islamic Relief Indonesia Office will not be considered.
Women are strongly encouraged to apply for this position.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted
The deadline for submitting applications is: 15 July 2018