Islamic Relief Job Vacancy: Communication Coordinator, Jakarta
Islamic Relief Worldwide is an independent humanitarian and development organisation with a presence in over 40 countries around the globe. Islamic Relief Worldwide is a UK based International relief. We have been fighting poverty and injustice for 30 years, in a world in which over three billion people still live in poverty.
Islamic Relief Worldwide in Indonesia was operational since 2003 following the MOU signing with the Ministry of Home Affairs. The objective of IRW in Indonesia programme is to contribute to the social welfare of the Indonesia people and to alleviate the suffering. The main sector for the programme include:
- Water and Sanitation
- Sustainable livelihood
- Child Welfare
- Health and Nutrition
- Disaster Risk Reduction
- Climate Change
Post holder reports to: Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability & Learning (MEAL) Manager
Islamic Relief Indonesia seeks a competent media and communication expert to develop marketing products capturing Islamic Relief’s vision, mission and activities in Indonesia with a major focus on Impact, Innovation and added-value of Islamic Faith-Based Organization in Indonesia.
KEY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Key Accountability 1: Communication strategy:
Develop a communications strategy for IR Indonesia. The strategy will be derived from the organization’s global c communication strategy capturing IR Indonesia project activities while ensuring that awareness of the humanitarian needs of beneficiaries as well as the actions taken by IR to address them come to communities-friendly solutions, increase support for the response and, where necessary, assist with fundraising.
- Develop, maintain and update the country advocacy and communication strategy and associated work plan. Strategy and work plan include: an environmental and stakeholder assessment; objectives; target audiences; messages and media mix; resources; specific actions, activities and products; monitoring and evaluation of impact; success and opportunity for improvement; ongoing refinement of the strategy.
- Maintain close collaboration with IR Asian Regional Communication Advisers and HQ Communication Officers for effective overall coordination.
The Country Office has a well maintained and continually developed contact list of journalists and media outlets covering all media – print, TV, radio, web, photo etc. – and a successful process of communicating and maintaining regular contact and close collaboration with the media to communicate the story of IR Indonesia’s cooperation.
- Promote a better understanding of, respect and support for IRI development programmes or humanitarian efforts in the country.
- Develop, maintain and update media relations contact list/database.
- Establish, document, review and refine process of communicating with media contacts, including press conferences and events, issuing of media materials etc.
- Ensure rapid and accurate information dissemination to the media, National Committees, NGOs, the field and other appropriate audiences.
- Identify, develop, distribute and evaluate variety of media materials in multiple, appropriate formats (Press releases, feature stories etc). Ensure or enhance the quality, appropriateness of country specific communication materials, activities, processes and messages transmitted to the press, partners and public.
- Collaborate with mass media through activities such as organizing project site visits, facilitating photo coverage and TV footage and utilizing both web-based and traditional media as appropriate.
- Monitor and evaluate the use and effectiveness of media materials and share results and findings.
The Country Office has a well maintained and continually developed contact list of individuals, groups, organizations and for whose support is essential to/can assist in achieving the advocacy and communication objectives. Effective working relationships with the IRW and IR counterparts are developed, maintained and enhanced.
- Help establish, document, review and refine process of working collaboratively with partners, including meetings, joint projects, information sharing, reporting etc.
- Ensure or enhance the quality, consistency and appropriateness of country-specific communication materials, activities, processes and messages shared with partners.
- Identify opportunities to strengthen the capacity of partners through appropriate advocacy and communication training, access to information, supplies and equipment and through knowledge sharing.
- Monitor, evaluate and share results and findings with partners.
The Country Office has a well maintained and continually developed contact list of appropriate, nationally-known personalities who have been identified, engaged and support IRI’s effort and who actively participate in special events and activities.
Key Accountability 5: Global priorities and campaigns:
The Country Office has an effective process in place for integrating and taking action on IR’s global communications priorities, campaigns and partnerships, disseminating these elements in a locally-appropriate way.
- Support IR Indonesia global communications objectives and strategies through the development of complementary country specific and local community materials and activities. Work plan should anticipate the inclusion of work on global priorities and campaigns.
- Develop and deploy country office communication capacity to gather/facilitate the content and coverage of relevant country efforts. Use the opportunity to identify/highlight effective programme activities and results.
- Ensure regular communication and co-ordination with relevant communication focal points in Asian regional offices and headquarters divisions.
Human resources (the communication team) and financial resources (budget planning, management and monitoring) are both effectively managed and optimally used.
- Develop a work plan for communication activities, monitor compliance and provide support and guidance to ensure objectives are met.
- Plan and monitor the use of communication budgetary resources. Approve and monitor the overall allocation and disbursement and liquidation of funds. Take appropriate actions to optimize use of funds.
- Identify, recruit and supervise staff, technical resources and consultants as necessary. Conduct and Implement effective performance planning, monitoring, performance development programme as required.
- Ensure communication effectiveness, efficiency and delivery as well as a rigorous and transparent approach to planing, monitoring and evaluation as well reporting.
Communication baselines are established against which the achievement of objectives of the communication strategy are regularly evaluated; analysis is undertaken to continuously improve the effectiveness of communication strategy and activities; results and reports are prepared and shared.
- Provide technical support to ensure that a set of communication performance indicators is identified and adjusted as necessary, and these communication indicators are incorporated or fed forwarded in the Annual Management Plan, Annual Work Plan, etc.
- Conduct timely and accurate monitoring and evaluation activities to ensure the communications objectives are met and the strategy is effective.
- Undertake lessons learned review of successful and unsuccessful communication experiences and share observations/findings by reporting development with country, regional and HQ communication colleagues so that best practices benefit IRI’s communication work.
The country programme teams are provided with professional expertise and advice on all aspects of external relations communication as required.
- Advise IRI management, colleagues and staff on media strategy and implications for action and policies proposed.
- Support communication activities through knowledge management, information exchange and building capacity of the country communications team. Enable appropriate advocacy and communication training, access to information, supplies and equipment, and developing training and orientation material.
- Assist the Country Director in the development of communication tools and/or strategies, reporting and proposal writing. Identify opportunities to strengthen the capacity of partners through appropriate advocacy and communication training.
- Monthly written summary of main achievements and outstanding key outputs
- Other duties as assigned by the Line Managers
- Minimum Bachelor or Master’s degree in related subject such as Mass Communication & Journalism, Social sciences or International development, or a recognized relevant professional qualification for Media & Communication or qualified through experience.
- At least 5 years of relevant work experience in I/NGO.
- Ability to be flexible and respond to changes to text as part of the review and feedback process
- Ability to develop creative ideas to present complex concepts and data;
- Experience in design work for development or humanitarian organizations;
- Strong organizational skills and to manage multiple tasks effectively and efficiently;
- Proven ability to develop and maintain sound working relationships with government officials, public and private sector organizations, and other stakeholders.
- Proven ability for accuracy under pressure and adherence to deadlines.
- High-level interpersonal, negotiation and communication skills, including experience in cross-cultural environment and international settings.
- Commitment to teamwork and collaborative work practices.
- Competency in computer skills.
- Excellent command of English, written and spoken.
- Strong interest in development work with respect for confidentiality and commitment to Islamic Relief overall aims and objectives, including gender, equality and equal opportunities in all aspects of Islamic Relief’s work.
- Islamic Relief is a faith based-non government organization that respects diversity and inclusiveness. Applicants from diverse religions, gender, race, and physical impairment are encouraged to apply.
- All Islamic Relief team members are expected to support all efforts towards accountability, specifically to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field project.
Please send only your application letter and CV to the email address:
Applications submit directly to Islamic Relief Indonesia Office will not be considered.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
The deadline for submitting applications is: 9 March 2019